Miniature Devotional Books
Miniature devotional books were very popular in the nineteenth century. These widespread books numbered in the hundreds and were often extended to many editions and publishers, which included The Religious Tract Society and The American Tract Society. Handy because of their pocket size, these meditation books were used by missionaries, servicemen and other Christians for guidance and inspiration.
They were small in size, many were just over 2 by 3 inches. Some even smaller at just over 1 by 1 inch. They are described as having a 64mo size (2 X 3). The higher the number the smaller the book because it describes the number of times a large sheet of paper was folded. (The "mo" being part of the ending of the Latin word - sexagesimo-quarto.)
A Chaplet of Flowers, comprising a scripture text, with a gem of thought illustrating its meaning, for every day of the year.
Publishers include The American Tract Society.
The book consists of a Bible verse with a comment on it by a famous person like H. Bonar or Baxter .
Written by a woman confined to her room in the winter of 1847. The title originated from one of her favorite expressions "A chaplet of flowers from the spiritual greenhouse."
Read more: A Chaplet of Flowers
Small Rain upon the Tender Herb is a devotional of Bible verses for every day of the year.
The title is taken from Deuteronomy 32:2—"My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass."
Each day of the year has its own Bible verse.
This book was very small in size, just over an inch by one inch, and it was very popular.
The Northern Publishing Office, Belfast.
- The Coming One
- Pure Gold
- My Redeemer
- Rock of ages
- Good Cheer
- Living Waters
- Bright Gems
Diamond Miniatures by George Cottrell Publishing, Boston:
- The Wedding Ring.
- Golden Vase.
- Friendship's Jewels.
- Vase of Flowers.
- Crystal Gems.
- Floral Wreath.
- Bible Gems.
- Daily Food.
- Sacred Gift.
- Gift of Piety.
Frederick Warne & Co., London, Bijou Text Books:
- Rills from the River of Life
- Dew of Hermon.
- Daily gleanings.
- Casket of gems.
- Bible Gems and Brief Prayers.
- Rays of Light.
American Sunday School Union, Philadelphia, Miniatures: (Forty-ninth Series)
Sermon on the Mount, 64 pages.
The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Philippines, 32 pages.
The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Colossians, 32 pages.
The Epistle General of John, 55 pages.
One Hundred and Nineteenth Psalm, 60 pages.
The Contrast Between the Righteous and the Wicked, 61 pages.
Small Rain Upon a Tender Herb, 128mo.
Sacred Gems, 32 pages.
Daily Texts with Verses of Hymns for every day of the month, 32 pages.
The Youth Monitor, or a daily text for the month, 32 pages.
Spiritual Help, 128 pages.
Titles of Christ selected from Scripture, 64 pages.
Darton & Hodges, London, Miniature Text-Books:
- Rays of Light on the Way to Heaven.
- Rills from the River of Life.
- Bible Gems and Brief Prayers.
- A Casquet of Pearls. Divine and Human.
- The Dew of Hermon.
- Daily Gleanings from the Holy Scriptures.
- Bible Forget-me-nots - A daily book of divine promises decorated with Forget-me-nots.
- Bible Heartsease - A daily book of comfort and rest decorated with Heartsease.
- Golden Grain - A daily book decorated with Golden Ears of Corn.
- Green Ears - A daily book for youth decorated with Green Ears of Corn.
- Bible Immortelles - A daily book for mourners decorated with Everlasting Flowers.
- Bible Sunflowers or, Looking unto Jesus - A daily book decorated with Sunflowers.
- Bible Forget-me-not Casket - collection of the above six volumes.
- Golden Triplet of Bible Promises - A case containing: Bible Forget-me-nots, Bible Heartsease, and Golden Grain.