NIGHT AND A DAY (A)
A Night and a Day by Hesba Stretton.
Disaster came to the coal mine one day when it flooded with water. Simeon, Rueben’s brother, was trapped along with several other people. Rueben went into the mine to save them, but not all went as planned. This story illustrates the Biblical principle of “Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.”—John 15:13.—Curiosmith (2014).
- Chapter 1 — A Test of Scholarship.
- Chapter 2 — A Sudden Calamity.
- Chapter 3 — Lost in the Pit Workings.
- Chapter 4 — A Dreary Night.
- Chapter 5 — A Fair Chance and No Favor.
- Chapter 6 — At the Bottom of the Shaft.
- Chapter 7 — Rescued from the Depths.
- Judith Hazeltine — the mother.
- Reuben — the son,
- Simeon — the son, a good scholar.
- Levi Hazeltine — the holder of the family Bible for 30 years.
- Abby Upton — the girl Ruben was to marry.
- 1 John 3:16—Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
- Job 1:15—Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.
- Matthew 26:42—He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
- Romans 8:39—Neither death nor life, nor height nor depth, nor any other creature shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord!